Wellcome International Training Fellowships offers nationals of low- and middle-income countries the opportunity to receive training at postgraduate or postdoctoral level. The low and middle income countries of exception are India and mainland China.
Research Field: Basic, Clinical and Public Health.
Funding Duration: 3 years.
Career Level: Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Research.
Study in: Any Country
Value of the Training Fellowship
Generally, the fellowship has a funding level of usually £150,00 to £300,000 that provide the following:
- a basic salary
- personal removal expenses of £1,000
- overheads, which should not be more than 20% of the direct research costs if you are based in a low- or middle-income country, and not more than 15% if you are based anywhere else.
- research expenses directly related to your proposal and
- course fees if you are registered for your higher degree at a local academic organisation.
Also see >>> Study Abroad at University of Bedfordshire, UK
You can apply for an International Training Fellowship if:
- you’re a national of a low- or middle-income country
- your proposed research focuses on a health priority in a low- or middle-income country
- you have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation in a low- or middle-income country apart from mainland China.
You must want to undertake a guided period of research so that you can consolidate your existing experience and explore new areas of research.
- have a PhD and be an early-career researcher; or
- have a degree in a relevant subject and some initial research experience; or
- be a clinically qualified doctor (and be qualified to enter higher specialist training), vet, dentist or clinical psychologist, and have some initial research experience.
If you don’t have a PhD, you are expected to start one at the same time as the fellowship. You should register for your PhD at a local academic organisation. If this isn’t possible, contact us before submitting your application.
How to Apply
Wellcome accepts 2 rounds of applications per year. The deadline for this first round for 2020 has passed. However, the deadline for the 2nd round is 5 November 2020, 17:00 GMT (preliminary application) and the deadline for full applications is 4 February 2021, 17:00 GMT.
For more information visit >>> Wellcome International Training Fellowships.